NSW Health Finance Executive Development Program (FEDP)
The needs of today’s workforce change at a rapid pace. FEDP provides finance leaders and executives with the capabilities to lead in a complex environment, including problem solving, critical thinking, creativity and people management.
FEDP provides a best practice and high-impact development opportunity to cultivate contemporary finance executives. Having grown beyond traditional financial custodianship, innovative finance leaders must develop skills in strategy, collaboration, leadership and operations using industry expertise and global connectivity.
The Program focuses on the changing functions and roles of the future Director of Finance, with an emphasis on partnering skills, leadership skills, people management, informed decision making and patient-centredness.
| Learning outcomes|
- Identify and articulate the demands, capabilities and accountabilities of a Senior Finance Executive, including high-level business acumen; ability to lead and develop the business performance and strategy; and managing an effective team/ business unit/ organisation
- Develop the ability to work strategically across boundaries internal and external to NSW Health, competently operating in the globally complex and adaptive system of finance
- Display the ability to engage with staff, patients, service users, carers and families of all backgrounds, enabling person-centred care within an effective organisational culture
- Develop relationships and partner with a diverse range of executives across NSW Health to work within a whole of health approach, considering NSW government priorities, global and national finance trends and key policy drivers
- Display political and systemic astuteness, awareness and insight, to take appropriate action to reduce risks and make courageous decisions when necessary
- Lead people and the organisation and manage change, to create environments which foster innovation and develop sustainable solutions across the system
- Engage in development activities to develop a critical awareness of personal leadership style, strengths, behaviours, values and attitudes in order to continue to develop leadership capability
- NSW Health aspiring Directors of Finance or equivalent; participants will primarily be in senior finance roles
- Learning modules are held in Sydney
| Duration and elements|
- 6 months
- 4 two-day modules, 1 one-day presentation design and skills module, a half-day presentation practice session, and a one-day on-line, self-paced module, 10.5 days in total
- Immersion activities
- Work on a group strategic challenge
- 360° feedback and executive coaching
- Work placement
| Application process|
- For the 2021-22 financial year cohort, nomination by a Chief Executive or Executive Sponsor and completion of an application form are required