Abuse of Older People
Welcome to the eLearning module Abuse of Older People.
The purpose of this course is to increase your awareness about abuse of older people. It aims to encourage you to participate in the prevention of this abuse, and to reflect on your own attitudes and behaviours when caring for an older person.
This module is designed to educate all NSW Health staff to feel confident in responding appropriately to suspected cases of the abuse of older people.
A certificate is issued on completion.
At the completion of this module, you will be able to:
- Identify the signs and behaviours of abuse and which type of abuse it may be.
- Recognise your role and duty of care towards older people and respond to the signs of abuse.
- Assess abuse using different support mechanisms and communication styles.
- Provide support to the older person to mitigate risks associated with abuse and refer them to the appropriate area for help.
This module is designed for NSW Health Staff, including:
- medical officers, nurses and allied health
- staff working at residential aged care facilities
- community health staff
- emergency department staff
- staff working in mental health
- aged care assessment team staff
- regional assessment services.
This may qualify for up to 0.5 hours of Continuous Professional Development.