Safe use of HYDROmorphone
Welcome to eLearning module Safe use of HYDROmorphone.
HYDROmorphone is a potent opioid analgesic. It is frequently used to treat moderate to severe, acute or chronic pain. Your role may require you to either prescribe, dispense, or administer this medication.
Due to its high potency, errors may result in serious adverse patient outcomes. This module will outline how you can ensure the safe use of HYDROmorphone at every stage in the patient journey.
A certificate is issued on completion.
At the completion of this module you will be able to explain the strength of HYDROmorphone in comparison to morphine.
Also, based on your role, you will be able to:
- ensure HYDROmorphone is the most appropriate medication for a patient
- write an accurate prescription for HYDROmorphone
- safely administer HYDROmorphone
- safely monitor the patient after administering HYDROmorphone
- review the accuracy of an order for HYDROmorphone.
This course is applicable for:
- Prescribers prescribing medication and reviewing patients
- Pharmacists reviewing orders for HYDROmorphone, and
- Nurses and health staff administering HYDROmorphone.
This may qualify for up to 0.7 hrs of Continuous Professional Development.