Operating Suite: Beyond the Red Line
Welcome to the eLearning module Operating Suite: Beyond the Red Line.
This module takes you through a virtual tour of an operating suite. The tour is relevant for all personnel new to the perioperative environment.
The tour will prepare you to meet the unique safety and infection control requirements and comply with perioperative etiquette. You will meet the people working within the operating suite, discover their roles and the areas in which they work.
A certificate is issued on completion.
Ensure that staff and unit visitors who are new to the perioperative environment comply with required infection control and safety processes and perioperative etiquette to provide optimal outcomes for patients, themselves and others.
By the end of the learning program the learner will be able to:
- Identify the members of the multidisciplinary perioperative team and the area in which they do their role
- Choose the correct surgical attire for specific area and relevant Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Comply with traffic flow for personnel, patients and equipment
- Contribute to an environment which promotes an optimal patient experience.
This module is relevant for all personnel new to the perioperative environment. This includes:
- Clinical staff and students: Medical, Nursing, Midwifery and Allied Health (e.g. Physiotherapists, Radiologists).
- Technical support staff and personnel, e.g. Maintenance.
- Tech Aides and CSSD personnel.
- Environmental Service personnel.
- Operating Theatre Assistants and Orderlies.
- Clerical: Clinical Support Officers and Ward Clerks.
- Medical representatives.
- Corrective Service personnel.
This may qualify for up to 0.5 hrs of Continuous Professional Development.