Contrast Media Administration
Welcome to the "Contrast Media: Administration" module. This module builds on the knowledge gaining in Module 1 – Contrast screening to develop and/or enhance knowledge related to screening intravascular contrast media administration. The participant will work through a scenario, in order to enhance understanding of actions to take for the contrast administration. The successful completion of both modules are pre-requisites for facility based training requirements such as supervised practice in their clinical setting and undertaking a contrast screening and administration competency assessment. The modules can also be used as a tool for revision.
A certificate is issued on completion.
After completing this module, learners will be able to:
- check cannula and confirm safety for contrast administration
- administer contrast media and involve the patient in the process
- observe the patient for symptoms of contrast reactions or extravasation
- perform actions or interventions based on the patient’s reaction to contrast
- communicate and document the patient’s reaction to contrast for the safe continuity of care.
This module is designed for Medical Radiation Scientists, Registered Nurses, Enrolled Nurses working in Medical Imaging Departments and may qualify for up to 0.5 hrs of Continuous Professional Development.