Meeting the healthcare needs of Refugees
People from refugee backgrounds face a number of challenges when accessing healthcare services. Understanding their background and journey can give all healthcare professionals a greater understanding of how to provide best-practice healthcare.
By completing both modules of this course you will be able to:
- Recognise people from refugee and refugee-like backgrounds.
- Recognise how the refugee experience prior to arrival impacts people’s healthcare needs.
- Focus on building trust and creating safety.
- Use professional interpreters, on-site or over the phone.
- Check that you are being understood.
- Find out what other priorities the person may have.
- Ask about beliefs around health, illness and health practices.
- Refer patients to cost-effective, culturally relevant options, make it easy for patients to get there, and follow up.
This course is applicable for all healthcare professionals, especially those in client-facing roles and may qualify for up to 0.7 hrs of Continuous Professional Development