HETI Awards in Psychiatry and Mental Health
I would recommend the HETI Awards as they provide an ideal launchpad from which to explore important areas of clinical or research interest.
Dr Rohan Taylor, 2019 HETI Award recipient.
A unique opportunity to shape your future career
Apply for an Award in psychiatry special training or mental health research with the largest provider of healthcare education in NSW.
Overview of Awards
The Awards help to build a more capable mental health workforce and deliver better patient outcomes across NSW.
HETI offers Awards in two categories:
- Psychiatry Special Training Award
- Mental Health Research Award
Through the Special Training Award, recipients have opportunities to train in an area of interest where little or no training is available and develop specialised skills.
The Mental Health Research Award assist recipients to develop their research capabilities, enabling them to undertake original research to the benefit of the mental health sector.
Formerly the NSW Institute of Psychiatry Fellowships, the Awards are administered by HETI on behalf of NSW Health.
With the HETI Awards it gives you the freedom to choose your own area of interest as opposed to doing a specific area that other people are telling you to look at.
Dr Sarah Vanniasingham, 2019 HETI Award recipient.
Applications for the 2022-2023 Award program open on 19 July 2021 and close 16 August 2021.
There are two Award categories:
- Psychiatry Special Training Award: The Special Training Award provides psychiatry registrars with the opportunity to undertake clinical skills training, providing a valuable opportunity to enhance their skills and deliver better patient outcomes.
- Mental Health Research Award: The Award in Mental Health Research supports mental health practitioners to develop research skills and provide dedicated time to conduct a research project. It is designed to build on or enhance the research capability of professionals working in the mental health sector.
The one-year Awards are fully funded including covering salary and on-costs to the employers of Award recipients.
Benefits to employers
Employers of Award recipients benefit from the support given to practitioners to contribute valuable original research to the mental health sector or expand their clinical skills, resulting in better patient outcomes and growing the capability of their Local Health District/Specialty Health Networks and Pillar organisations.
- Psychiatry Special Training Award: To be considered for the Psychiatry Special Training Award, applicants must be NSW residents eligible to enter Stage 3 of Training in Psychiatry or must be Fellows of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists (RANZCP).
- Mental Health Research Award: The Award in Mental Health Research is open to mental health practitioners residing in NSW who are interested in undertaking mental health research. The Award is aimed at those practitioners who are currently enrolled or considering enrolment in a research degree program and are looking to build or enhance their research capability.
If you are a successful recipient of an Award you will be required to meet the Conditions of the Award. Please ensure you read the Conditions of the Award prior to submitting an application.
How do I apply?
- Read the guidelines for submission and eligibility criteria for Psychiatry Special Training Award or Mental Health Research Award
- For Psychiatry Special Training Award applicants refer to the Steps to Consider before submitting your application.
- For Mental Health Research Award applicants refer to the Research Proposal Guidelines before submitting your application.
- Ensure the Support for Application forms are completed as outlined in the guidelines above for each of the Awards.
- Access Psychiatry Special Training Award application form or Mental Health Research Award application form and ensure you have all the information you need to apply. Please note that these forms will be available from 19 July 2021
- Submit application before the 16 August 2021.
- All applicants will be notified in writing of the outcome of their application.
For further information or to apply, please contact Neridah Callaghan on 02 9844 6329.