Dysphagia principles of care
Welcome to Dysphagia: principles of care.
This module will help you understand dysphagia, its causes, symptoms and risks. The principles involved in caring for someone with dysphagia are also explored.
A certificate is issued on completion.
On completion of the module the learner will be able to:
- Recognise what a normal swallow looks like
- Identify signs and symptoms that may indicate a patient has dysphagia (difficulty swallowing).
- Recognise factors which cause the patient to be at risk of dysphagia
- Appraise individual clinical situations and apply risk management strategies.
- Explain the role of the speech pathologist within multidisciplinary management and know when to refer.
This module is designed for Health care staff who are responsible for the care of patients with dysphagia and may qualify for up to 0.3 hr Continuous Professional Development.