Strengthening Foundations (Learning Path)
Welcome to the eLearning module Strengthening Foundations.
The Strengthening Foundations professional development program supports the practice of health professionals working with Aboriginal clients and communities within the context of:
- The Aboriginal Maternal Infant Health Service (AMIHS);
- The Building Strong Foundations for Aboriginal Children, Families and Communities (BSF) Program; or
- A healthcare provider working in partnership with these services.
Strengthening Foundations includes four modules, which are intended to be completed together; but can also be completed as stand-alone modules. There is also a two day 'Strengthening Foundations' workshop that you may want to complete in parallel with this eLeaning (for more information, contact the Training & Support Unit for Aboriginal Mothers, Babies and Children).
To get the most from this program you should also have completed the eLearning modules on Domestic Violence, Safe Start, Motivational Interviewing and Respecting the Difference.
A certificate is issued on completion.
Included in this learning path:
- Working with Aboriginal mothers and Families
- Emotional health of mothers and children
- Health and wellbeing during pregnancy
- Supporting health babies and children
- Yarning about Quitting
After completing the course you will be able to confidently interact with Aboriginal mothers and family members to discuss topics around pregnancy, birth and early childhood. You will be aware of critical risks for Aboriginal mothers and babies, and will have strategies that you can implement with the family to address these risks.
This course is applicable for all NSW Health Staff - clinical and non clinical.