Fundamentals of Paediatric Medication Safety
Welcome to the eLearning module Fundamentals of Paediatric Medication Safety.
This module is intended for all staff involved in the administration of medications to paediatric patients. The aim of this module is to revise and learn about key factors of paediatric medication including introductory pharmacokinetics, units of measure, drug calculations, the medication pathway and the six rights of drug administration.
The module is divided into short sections that will take ten to fifteen minutes each to complete and contain a variety of interactive, discovery based learning activities. The module concludes with a mandatory maths test.
A certificate is issued on completion.
If you successfully complete this module you will be able to:
- Explain how factors related to growth and maturation affect dosage calculations for paediatric patients
- Convert dosages between the different units of measure
- Calculate the required doses for paediatric patients, using three key formulae for determining body surface area, required dose and infusion rate
- Explain the four step Medication Pathway
- Explain the Six Rights of Drug Administration
This course is applicable for all staff involved in the the preparation and administration of pharmaceutical drugs to paediatric patients and may qualify for up to 0.5 hrs of Continuous Professional Development.