Verification of Death
Welcome to the eLearning module Verification of Death.
When a person dies, and there is no registered medical practitioner available, the fact that death has occurred may be verified by a registered nurse, registered midwife or by a qualified paramedic. This course will guide you through the process to verify death as outlined in PD2015_040 'Death - Verification of Death and Medical Certificate Cause of Death.
This module contains information that may be emotionally confronting for some people. If you find it raises any concerns please speak to your manager or contact the Employee Assistance program or insert relevant support services. See references for contact details.
A certificate is issued on completion.
After completing this course you will be able to:
- Describe the overall process for verifying death
- Identify the circumstances when verification of death can be undertaken
- Recognise cases that need to be reported to the Coroner
- Vertify death using a standard clinical assessment
- Complete appropriate documentation to verify or report a death.
This course is applicable for all NSW Health Staff and may qualify for up to 0.5 hrs of Continuous Professional Development.