Violence Prevention and Management in The Workplace: Awareness
Welcome to the eLearning module Violence Prevention and Management - Awareness.
This module is for all NSW Health staff identified as being at risk of workplace violence and reflects the standards for Category 1 staff outlined by PD2012_008 the Violence Prevention Training Framework for the NSW Public Health System.
The module provides participants with an overview of violence prevention and early intervention, the zero tolerance approach, risk considerations and safety in the workplace, patient-centred care, communication skills, responding to violence and self-care.
A certificate is issued on completion.
At the end of this module, you should be able to:
- Describe workplace violence
- Identify factors that contribute to workplace violence
- Discuss risk management strategies and safety in the workplace
- Identify how cultural awareness impacts on workplace violence
- Understand how patient-centred care can reduce violence
- Describe how good customer service can reduce or prevent workplace violence
- Identify aggressive behaviours that may escalate to violence
- Identify communication strategies to defuse violent behaviours
- Compare response options when confronted with violent behaviours
- Locate emergency and duress protocols available in your workplace
- Explain your role in the incident investigation process
- Use policies and procedures for seeking medical help and support after a violent incident
- Consider the legal and ethical issues that underpin your role in violence prevention and management
This course is applicable for all NSW Health Staff and may qualify for up to 0.5 hrs of Continuous Professional Development.