Metropolitan Access Scholarships
Application status: Closed
Open from: 21 September 2020 to 20 November 2020
Open for: Terms 3, 4 and 5 2020
Please note applications will re-open in February 2021 for Terms 1 and 2, and full year applicants for the 2021 clinical year.
The Metropolitan Access Scholarships (MAS) program provides financial support to eligible NSW rural vocational and prevocational medical trainees undertaking metropolitan training.
The scholarships aim to assist rural trainees, with a strong commitment to rural practice in NSW, to relocate to a metropolitan centre for further training. It is recognised that vocational training programs may require a component of training to be undertaken in a metropolitan tertiary centre and this can have financial implications for trainees required to relocate from their rural homes.
The scholarship is valued at $12,000 provided pro rata based on the number of weeks of the metropolitan placement.
The program is primarily targeted towards rural-based vocational trainees, whose applications will be assessed first, however Rural Preferential Recruitment Program PGY1/2 trainees are also eligible to apply.
- Australian and New Zealand citizens and permanent residents of Australia
- NSW Health employees
- Relocating from your primary rural location to undertake metropolitan training terms in the 2020/21 financial year
- Must attach a reference letter from your current supervisor/mentor at your primary rural location
- College-enrolled vocational trainee or
- Non-specialist doctor (SRMO or Trainee working in an Unaccredited Training position) or
- Rural Preferential Recruitment Program PGY1/2 trainee.
For the purpose of this scholarship, an applicant will be considered to be rural based if they are based in one of the following LHDs:
- Far West LHD
- Hunter New England LHD (excluding the Newcastle & Lake Macquarie LGAs)
- Illawarra Shoalhaven LHD (excluding the Wollongong, Shellharbour & Kiama LGAs)
- Mid North Coast LHD
- Murrumbidgee LHD
- Nepean Blue Mountains LHD (excluding the Penrith, Hawkesbury & Blue Mountains LGAs)
- Northern NSW LHD
- Southern NSW LHD
- Western NSW LHD
For the purpose of this scholarship, an applicant will be considered to be undertaking a metropolitan rotation if they are rotating to a site based in one of the following LHDs:
- Central Coast LHD
- Hunter New England LHD (Newcastle & Lake Macquarie LGAs only)
- Illawarra Shoalhaven LHD (Wollongong, Shellharbour & Kiama LGAs only)
- Nepean Blue Mountains LHD (Penrith, Hawkesbury & Blue Mountains LGAs only)
- Northern Sydney LHD
- South Eastern Sydney LHD
- South Western Sydney LHD
- Sydney LHD
- Western Sydney LHD
Please note: We would encourage all vocational trainees to contact HETI in the first instance to discuss eligibility before deciding not to apply.
How to Apply
To apply for the scholarship, download and complete the application form and provide the additional evidence required as specified on the form and e-mail the documents to HETI-MAS@health.nsw.gov.au.
For further information please refer to the flyer or contact the Medical Education Funds team at HETI-MAS@health.nsw.gov.au or by phone on 02 9844 6519.