Metropolitan Access Scholarships
Application status: Open
Open from: 1 April 2019 to 1 May 2019
The Metropolitan Access Scholarships (MAS) program provides financial support to eligible NSW rural vocational and prevocational medical trainees undertaking metropolitan training.
The scholarships aim to assist rural trainees, with a strong commitment to rural practice in NSW, to relocate to a metropolitan centre for further training. It is recognised that vocational training programs may require a component of training to be undertaken in a metropolitan tertiary centre and this can have financial implications for trainees required to relocate from their rural homes.
The scholarship is valued at $12,000 provided pro rata based on the number of weeks of the metropolitan placement.
The program is primarily targeted towards rural-based vocational trainees, whose applications will be assessed first, however Rural Preferential Recruitment Program PGY1/2 trainees are also eligible to apply.
- Australian citizens and permanent residents
- NSW Health employees
- Undertaking a metropolitan rotation in the 2019 clinical year (February 2019 to February 2020)
- Rural-based (RA2-5) trainees enrolled in a vocational training program (first priority) or
- Rural Preferential Recruitment Program PGY1/2 trainees (second priority).
For the purpose of this scholarship, rural-based trainee will be defined as:
- You are a vocational trainee who will complete the majority of your training (including your prevocational training) in an RA2-5 location (first priority)
- You are a Rural Preferential Recruitment prevocational trainee (PGY1-2) (second priority)
- You have a demonstrated commitment to rural practice
- You are required to undertake a metropolitan term/s in the 2019 clinical year.
Please note: We would encourage all vocational trainees to contact HETI in the first instance to discuss eligibility before deciding not to apply.
How to Apply
To apply for the scholarship, download and complete the application form and provide the additional evidence required as specified on the form and e-mail the documents to HETI-MedicalEducationFunds@health.nsw.gov.au.
For further information please refer to the flyer or contact the Medical Education Funds team at HETI-MedicalEducationFunds@health.nsw.gov.au or by phone on 02 9844 6519.