Getting Started in Medicine Scholarship for First Year Students
The Getting Started in Medicine Scholarship for First Year Students is designed to support students pursuing a career in medicine from NSW rural communities who intend to work in rural health in the future.
About the scholarship
The Getting Started in Medicine Scholarship Program is open to medical students undertaking their first year of medicine at a NSW university medical school. Eligible applicants are encouraged to apply for a $1500 scholarship to assist with relocation and support study commencement costs.
Download Scholarship Guidelines for full application and eligibility criteria
These scholarships are limited and competitive. While all eligible applications will be considered, the following applications will be given priority:
- Greater priority to the higher the Modified Monash Model Scale of Rurality location: MM3 (low) – MM7 (high) (find Modified Monash Model (MMM) classifications on the Health Workforce Locator)
- Students from Murray Darling Medical Schools Medical Programs: Charles Sturt/WSU Joint medical program at Orange; Notre Dame Medical School; Sydney Uni Dubbo Medical Program; UNSW Wagga Wagga Medical School; UNSW Port Macquarie Rural Medical Program; UNE Medical Program which is a Joint Program with Newcastle.
- Outcome from application assessment
- Demonstrated intention to work in a rural setting.
Who is eligible?
Applicants for the Getting Started in Medicine Scholarship for First Year Students must:
- Be an Australian citizen or permanent resident and a resident of NSW.
- Have resided in a rural or remote area in NSW for a minimum of five consecutive or eight cumulative years since the age of five and whose immediate family currently resides in a rural* or remote area of NSW.
- Provide evidence of enrolment for first year medicine at a NSW University in 2023.
- Demonstrate a desire to contribute to the future of health in rural and regional NSW.
How to apply
Complete the online application form by midnight Friday 14 April 2023. Late applications will not be accepted.
- Upload evidence of your enrolment into your NSW University medical program (provide this as a PDF file).
- As part of this application, please respond to the following questions and upload your responses in one document:
- Describe how this scholarship will assist you to contribute to the future of rural and regional NSW Health.
- Outline any special considerations that the assessment panel should be aware of.
Getting Started in Medicine Scholarship for First Year Students Scholarship opens
28 February 2023
14 April 2023
Notification of outcomes to applicants
1 May 2023
Acceptance of scholarship by applicant
Within 7 days
By 31 May 2023