Child and Youth Mental Health Services Scholarship

Applications for Semester 1 2023: November 7, 2022 – December 16, 2022

Applications for Semester 2 2023: May 15, 2023 – June 23, 2023

Health Education and Training Institute (HETI) offers a number of courses within the Applied Mental Health Studies Framework. In addition to the formal postgraduate Award courses (Graduate Certificate, Graduate Diploma and Masters), HETI Higher Education provides the flexibility of studying units as Professional Development. Successful completion of any of the units as Professional Development can go towards an award should students decide to continue with their studies.

All Applied Mental Health Studies units are underpinned by recovery principles with an emphasis on the application to clinical practice. From the outset, students select their preferred specialisation in mental health including working with infants, children and youth, adults or older people. More information about these specialisations can be found here


The scholarship will be administered and delivered by HETI to NSW Health professionals providing mental health service to infants, children, youth and their families/carers. These scholarships have been funded by MH-Children and Young People (MH-CYP), NSW Ministry of Health.

The CYMHS scholarship covers 75% of the cost of study. Students can choose 50 hours to a maximum load of 300 hours of study. For example, the tuition fees for 50 hour units varies on the unit choices from $500 or $885. Students are required to pay the remaining 25% of the unit fee which is either $125 or $221.25 (known as the student contribution). If you choose to complete your units as part of our Award program, your student contribution can be paid through FEE-HELP or your own funds. If choosing to complete your units as professional development, FEE-HELP is not available.

HETI Higher Education will determine the hours of funded study to be allocated per applicant, in consultation with MH-CYP. This decision will be final and will be decided based on the review of all applications.

In the event there are significantly more applications than scholarship funding available, priority list will be developed  for any future scholarship funding.

Please Note:  Child and Youth Mental Health Service (CYMHS) scholarship recipients are ineligible to also receive a Nursing and Midwifery Office (NaMO) Postgraduate scholarship for the Applied Mental Health Studies course. Successful recipients of the NaMO scholarship must advise HETI Higher Education within two (2) weeks of accepting their offer.

Consider this exciting opportunity to grow your capabilities in Perinatal and Infant Mental Health or Child and Youth Mental Health.

How to apply

For more information, eligibility view the Scholarship Application Guidelines

Download the Personal Statement Template