Allied Health Rural Generalist Diploma Rural Practice (Level 2) Scholarship
The Allied Health Rural Graduate Diploma of Rural Generalist Practice (Level 2) Scholarship provides financial assistance ($35,000) for NSW Health allied health professionals currently working in a rural area to complete the Graduate Diploma of Rural Generalist Practice through James Cook University.
About the diploma and scholarship
The Graduate Diploma of Rural Generalist Practice provides allied health professionals with a pathway for advancing their academic and clinical expertise in a wide range of community and clinical settings. A range of subjects are available for study that equip participants to deliver rural and remote health services effectively and confidently in low resource settings. Participants gain leadership, research and patient management skills in rural generalist professional practice to respond to diverse healthcare needs. Scholarship funds can be used for course fees, technology, travel to attend in person activities if required or other costs associated with completing or attending this training program. Some electives may require in person attendance.
This course is currently available for the following allied health professions: Occupational Therapy, Nutrition/Dietetics, Physiotherapy, Pharmacy, Podiatry, Radiography, Speech Pathology, Psychology or Social Work. Applicants will have completed a minimum of two years of rural practice in a local health district within an MM3-MM7 location.
Download Scholarship Guidelines for full application and eligibility criteria
These scholarships are limited and competitive. While all eligible applications will be considered, the following applications will be given priority:
- Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander People living in a rural area. The person must be:
- Of Australian Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent, and
- Identify as an Australian Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander and
- Be recognised and accepted by the Aboriginal community in which they live or work.
- Greater priority to the higher the Modified Monash Model Scale of Rurality location: MM3 (low) – MM7 (high) (find Modified Monash Model (MMM) classifications on the Health Workforce Locator)
- Outcome from application assessment
- Small but critical workforces
- Demonstrated intention to remain in the rural NSW Health workforce.
Who is eligible?
Allied Health Graduate Diploma of Rural Generalist Practice Scholarship Applicants must:
- Have had more than two years of rural practice working as an: Occupational Therapist, Nutritionist/Dietitian, Physiotherapist, Pharmacist, Podiatrist, Radiographer, Speech Pathologist, Psychologist or Social Worker.
- Be an Australian citizen or permanent resident and a resident of NSW.
- Have resided in a rural or remote area in NSW for a minimum of three years.
- Be employed by a NSW Health local health district with a MM3 – MM7 classification (employees from the Ministry or pillar agencies are excluded).
- Declare receipt of another scholarship greater than $3000. Please note applicants with concurrent scholarships may not be accepted.
- Demonstrate a desire to contribute to the future of health in rural and regional NSW.
- Intend to complete the studies within 3 years.
How to apply
Complete the online application form by midnight Tuesday 28 March 2023. Late applications will not be accepted.
- Upload a letter of support from your current manager or supervisor (using the template provided).
- As part of this application, please respond to the following questions and upload your responses in one document:
- Explain why you are interested in this qualification and what you hope to achieve from completion of the course.
- Describe how the skills and knowledge you will gain from this study will be applied and benefit your rural community.
- Describe how this scholarship will assist you to complete your studies.
- As part of this Program, you will have the opportunity to complete a service development project. Describe a service development change that you would like to explore as part of this training.
Allied Health Graduate Diploma of Rural Generalist Practice (Level 2) Scholarship opens
28 February 2023
28 March 2023
Notification of outcomes to applicants
1 May 2023
Acceptance of scholarship by applicant
Within 7 days
By 31 May 2023
Successful applicants will need to enrol for second semester by 5 June 2023.