people consulting

Profession: Diversional Therapist

Qualification and registration requirements

To become a Level 1 Member of the Association you require one of the following:

  • Bachelor of Applied Science (Diversional Therapy)
  • Bachelor of Applied Science (Leisure and Health)
  • Bachelor of Health Science (Therapeutic Recreation)
  • Bachelor of Health Science (Leisure and Health)
  • Associate Degree of Health Science (Leisure and Health)
  • Diploma of Diversional Therapy (Does NOT include TAFE Diploma)
  • Diploma Arts (Aged Care)/Associate Degree of Social Science

What is a Diversional Therapist?

Diversional Therapy is a client-centred practice that recognises that leisure and recreational experiences are the right of all individuals. Diversional Therapy practitioners work with people of all ages and abilities to design and facilitate leisure and recreation programs. Activities are designed to support, challenge and enhance the psychological, spiritual, social, emotional and physical well being of individuals. The Diversional Therapist provides opportunities where individuals may choose to participate in leisure and recreation activities, which promote self esteem and personal fulfillment. The Diversional Therapist facilitates individual client choice, decision making and participation when developing and managing recreational programs.

Diversional Therapists work in the following areas: Aged Care, Mental Health, Rehabilitation, Youth Services, Ethnic Services, Residential Care, Brain Injury, Palliative Care, Respite Services, Forensic Health and Disability.

What does a Diversional Therapist do?

Diversional Therapists have specialised skills and knowledge in the following areas:

  • Leisure counselling and education
  • Assessment of leisure related needs and abilities
  • Individual personal programs
  • Facilitating client choice and decision making
  • Leisure programming for individuals and groups
  • Lifestyle management
  • Creative and expressive recreation
  • Activity analysis and modification
  • Documentation of professional practice and client care
  • Continuous quality improvement and evaluation
  • Teaching and facilitation
  • Health promotion
  • Management
  • Team and group work

Related links

For information on how to gain recognition of Allied Health qualifications obtained overseas, please contact the relevant professional association as per web links above