people consulting

Profession: Sexual Assault Worker

Sexual Assault Services are usually provided by Social Workers or Psychologists who have undertaken Sexual Assault Specialist Training organised through the Education Centre Against Violence.

Qualification and registration requirements

Degree in either Social Work and be eligible for membership of Australian Association of Social Workers (AASW) or Psychologist registered with Australian Psychological Society (APS). Have undertaken the Sexual Assault Specialist Training organised through Education Centre Against Violence (ECAV).

What is a Sexual Assault Worker?

Sexual Assault Workers provided one to one counselling, support through the legal process such as supporting a client making their statement, court preparation and court support. They provide crisis support for recent sexual assaults and support clients through forensic medicals.

Children and adults can access sexual assault service for both recent and historical sexual assaults. Children accessing this service are via Family & Community Services or from the Joint Investigation Response Team (JIRT) Referral Unit. 
After hours crisis services are commonly available 365 days a year via Emergency Departments.

What does a Sexual Assault Worker do?

The type of therapeutic intervention depends on each individual worker but could include, Crisis Intervention, Narrative Therapy, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), Interpersonal Psychotherapy (IPT), Solution Focus, Strengths Approach, Art Therapy and Play Therapy.

Related links

Australian Association of Social Workers
Australian Psychology Association
Australian Institute of Family Studies
Education Centre Against Violence

For information on how to gain recognition of Allied Health qualifications obtained overseas, please contact the relevant professional association as per web links above.