The Placement Process
All placements in NSW Health are booked and managed through the ClinConnect system. This is the responsibility of the Education Provider. Students do not have access to ClinConnect.
Please note: As the placement process is quite complex, Education Providers are responsible for booking and managing placements on a student's behalf. Students must not contact hospitals, facilities or HETI directly looking for placements.
After a student placement agreement has been signed, Education Providers need to use ClinConnect to request placements.
Before the placement starts, the student must go through the compliance assessment process. This involves NSW Health assessing the student's police check, vaccinations and signed code of conduct declaration. (There may be additional forms or requirements for some disciplines, placements e.g. Aged Care Facilities, or health agencies.) The health agency ClinConnect Coordinator will be able to assist with this process.
Two weeks before the first placement is due to start, the student will be issued with a NSW Health employee ID (StaffLink ID) and will be given access to the NSW Health Learning Management System (My Health Learning). All students are required to complete elearning modules, preferably before their first placement starts. Some disciplines have an eMR training module also.
ClinConnect is a web-based application used to assist Health Services (Local Health Districts and Specialty Health Networks) and Education Providers manage all student placements in NSW Health facilities.
ClinConnect is used to book and manage placements in:
- Nursing & Midwifery,
- Allied Health,
- Dental & Oral Health and
- Other disciplines alligned with NSW Health services.
ClinConnect is used to record clinical placement activity for Medicine.
The system aims to achieve the following:
- Ensure there is a student placement agreement in placement between the Education Provider and the Health Service
- Ensure the student meets compliance requirements prior to the placement's commencement
- Provide a single portal for organising and managing student placements in NSW Health facilities
- Enhance student placement efficiency and visibility by providing a single system for all placements
- Provide greater transparency and fairness in student placements
- Reduce the manual workload of the coordination of student placements
- Enable health services and education providers to produce reports on student placement activity in NSW Health facilities