people consulting

Student Compliance

Before a student can commence a clinical placement in a NSW Health facility, students must complete most of the following mandatory requirements.

Working with Children Checks and other Checks Policy Directive (PD2019_003)

  • Australian police checks must be obtained from an Australian State or Territory Police Force, the Australian Federal Police, or an Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission (ACIC) accredited body only.
  • National criminal record checks are valid for five years since the date of issue.
  • If a charge or conviction is listed on the National Police Check, then students must apply for a risk assessment.
  • National police check frequently asked questions
  • Overseas students are required to provide a National Police Check from their home country or any country they have resided in since turning 18 years of age.  If they cannot provide this police check, they can sign the Overseas Student Statutory Declaration.

NSW Health Code of Conduct (PD2015_049)

  • Students must complete the Health Declaration Tuberculosis Assessment Form (Attachment 7) which can be found at the back of the policy directive.
  • This form must be submitted within 4 months of the first clinical placement.
  • Students need to complete the Health Declaration (Attachment 6) which can be found at the back of the policy directive.
  • Students attending placements with National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) service providers, may be subject to further requirements including having to have a police check every 4 years.

Management of health care workers with a blood borne virus and those doing exposure prone procedures (PD2019_026)

  • Students in Medicine, Midwifery, Dentistry & Oral Health and Paramedicine are required to be screened for Blood Borne Viruses every three years.  Students are required to then sign the declaration and present it to NSW Health as part of the verification process.
  • This requirement only applies to students commencing a course in one of these disciplines from 24/06/2019.
  • Student declaration

When do students need to get their compliance documentation verified?

Students must be compliant (or temporarily compliant*) before their first placement.  Students must be compliant for the entire duration of their clinical placement.  If students do not meet these requirements then their placements will be cancelled.

*See the Clinical Placements in NSW Health Policy Directive for the definition of Temporary Compliance.

How do students get their compliance documents verified?

NSW Health verify student compliance documentation.  Students can contact their Education Provider to find out the process for getting their documents verified.