NSW Health Leadership Framework
How the framework is used
The NSW Health Leadership Framework is designed as a catalyst for developmental change in individuals and as a scaffold for the construction of new forms of leadership in healthcare organisations committed to patient and user-centred high performance.
The framework provides an underpinning for leadership development strategies and programs in NSW Health both in reviewing existing initiatives and setting up new ones. The framework affords a basis for developmental 360-degree feedback and related tools. Importantly, the framework provides a common language and set of concepts and definitions to inform discussions about leadership in the NSW Health system.
To access a PDF of the NSW Health Leadership Framework, click here.
The Five Domains of the framework
- Building a common vision for future health outcomes
- Using outcomes for patients and clients and service agreements to drive performance
- Focusing on what makes a difference to results
- Being accountable for performance and resources.
Developing and leading self
- Demonstrating self-awareness
- Actively seeking personal growth
- Modelling desired behaviours and values
- Taking responsibility for own performance and contribution to the service agreement.
Engaging people and building relationships
- Facilitating effective team processes
- Fostering the development of others
- Harnessing talent and diversity
- Creating workplace culture environments where people can contribute.
Partnering and collaborating across boundaries
- Employing a collaborative approach to transforming the organisation
- Mobilising people to undertake collaborative action for service transformation
- Creating cross-sectoral collaborations to deliver service agreements
- Encouraging fresh insights from diverse sources to foster innovation.
Transforming the system
- Shaping a preferred future for health service delivery
- Demonstrating critical and systems thinking
- Assessing and working through resistance and other impediments to change
- Being politically astute and building support for change.