Additional AMC requirements
To assist Prevocational Training Providers in meeting the new AMC requirements HETI has identified some of the key changes which Prevocational Training Providers will need to be aware of and take action to implement.
These changes are:
- Updating term descriptions to include reference to the intern outcome statements
- Use of the National Assessment Form
- Changes that may affect the delivery of the program
- Establishment of Assessment Review Committees
Please note the changes above are only the most significant changes required. All sites providing prevocational training will need to ensure that they review their own processes to ensure they comply with the AMC’s requirements.
The AMC website provides information regarding the changes, particularly:
- Intern training – Intern outcome statements PDF, 566.82 KB
- Intern training – National standards for programs PDF, 295.86 KB
- Intern training – Guidelines for terms PDF, 250.96 KB
- Intern training – Assessing and certifying completion PDF, 248.42 KB
- Intern training – Term assessment form PDF, 465.37 KB
- Guide to intern training in Australia PDF, 253.68 KB
Other changes that you may like to consider as you review your processes are:
- Supervisors and interns understand the new assessment program.
- Intern assessment data is used to improve the intern training program.
- The processes for intern allocation to terms are published, transparent, rigorous and fair.
- Interns are involved in the governance of their training.
- The training program has clear impartial pathways for the resolution of training related disputes.
- Clinical experience in all care phases for a range of common surgical conditions, including pre-operative evaluation, operative management and post-operative care. Interns should participate actively in operating theatre sessions PDF, 250.96 KB.
- As with medicine, surgery, and emergency medical care, supervision arrangements should be explicit and clear. Interns should experience consistent supervision throughout the term, and at least one of the remaining terms should be continuous and not significantly interrupted by other duties.
Wherever possible, HETI will support networks to meet the changes required by the AMC. If you require assistance please contact your Program Coordinator on 02 9844 6551.